Mittwoch, 7. September 2011

Getting Started!

I'm saying hello to everybody with this first post!

The first time I had this idea to help kids in Sri Lanka with this computer initiative was in the beginning of 2011. My parents are having godchildren in Sri Lanka, two sisters who were about to finish their O-level and A-level exams in Sri Lanka at that time. 

From the left: myself, the two girls and their uncle

I know these two girls since their early childhood. For a couple of years now I stay in contact with them by texting via mobile (which is very funny sometimes, because of the facetious abbreviations in their text messages....). Unfortunately texting is not free of charge and additionally a very limited medium for communication. So I created an email account one day and gave instructions to the smaller sister about how to use this new medium. I sent her emails and waited for her response. But she never replied... As a result we started texting again, and when I returned to Sri Lanka after some months I asked about the email issue. She became sad and told me that she would have liked to send me emails but this was not possible because there is no computer - neither at home nor at school. The nearest internet cafe was a long walk away and the rates were too expensive for them. The girls are having ambitious visions about their future - both aiming for university entrance within the next couple of years - but have absolutely no experience in handling computers and performing the simplest computer work. This was the moment when I felt that I'd like to do something about it - not only for my two young charges but also for other kids living Sri Lanka…


This was the beginning and now let's see how far I can go :-)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen