Sonntag, 25. September 2011

Meeting with Federation of Community Strength

FCS center in Gintota
Today I had a meeting with the NGO FCS (Federation of Community Strength) in the e-learnig centre located in the village Gintota (near to the city Galle). Besides the lead of the organisation also other functional leads of the organisation were attending this meeting (leads of other learning centers in nearby villages, senior project consulter, etc.). Also the principal of the Gintota primary and secondary school was present. The purpose of this meeting was to discuss and agree the best activities in which I could be involved during my stay in the next months.

When I arrived in Gintota (I took the normal bus line) I was impressed by the nice cost village. The ocean was just a few meters away (this village suffered also a lot when the Tsunami in 2004 impacted the coast of Sri Lanka)

After a few hundred meters walk I arrived at the FCS building. The door was open and I entered the house....The FCS-President Chaminda de Silva gave me a worm welcome. Within the next hour also the others joined and we had a fruitful discussion over the next 4 hours. A very interesting opportunity we carved out was proposed by the school principal. He wants to start a computer course in the school. So we agreed to have a kickoff meeting in the next days with him and the relevant teaching staff in order to plan the next steps. We figured out that my task would be to train the teachers with the goal to make them capable of teaching the pupils basic and maybe also advanced computer skills. I have the feeling that this will be a challenge to get this done within 3 months..... But let's see :-)
We also discussed a lot of other ideas and opportunities (workshops at other schools or learning centers, cooperations with companies, etc.) and my head was nearly exploding after 4 hours of discussion. But I was happy because I realised that there was the potential of performing helpful and sustainable work during my stay here although the facilities of this organisation are quite basic and could be extended.

In the end we summarised the results and scheduled a next appointments before we departed. But of course I couldn't leave before shooting some last pictures.
FCS Team
FCS Team and me
e-Learning center with 6 computer

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen